After returning to work on 7squared this past week, I realised that there was a lot I didn’t like about it. The theme and gameplay are fine (just look at the success of similar games such as 1010! and Hex FRVR) – however the visuals and polish were lacking.
I looked at what needed to change and – since there were a number of under-the-hood optimisations I wanted to make as well – decided to just rebuild the game from scratch; this time with higher quality sprites and text, faster-running code and an emphasis on supporting multiple device resolutions from the off.
I’m pretty happy with what I have so far after a weekend of work:
(click on the image to view the gif)
By the end of the week I should be back to where I was with the original version, after which I’m hoping it’ll be just another couple of weeks until I have a feature-complete HTML5 version online!